Saturday, March 19, 2011

Setting the Trap

Chapter 14
Setting the Trap
No proof of murder
"What a nerve that man has!" said Holmes. "He was shocked he had killed the wrong man, but he hardly showed it. He's a very clever enemy."
"I'm sorry he saw you. Will it change his plans?"
"It may make him more careful, or he may try another murder."
"Why don't we arrest him?"
"My dear Watson, not without proof. He's using the dog to kill for him."
"But there is also Sir Charles's death."
"There was no mark on him. we know what frightened him to death. But there's no way to prove it.
"What about Selden's death tonight?"
"Nothing can be proved. We never saw the hound that caused his death. We had no reason to kill Selden. So we have no case right now."
"What do we do next?"
"I hope that when we tell Laura Lyons everything about Stapleton, she'll help us."
We had come to Baskerville Hall.
"Are you coming in?" I asked.
"Yes, there's no more reason to hide on the moor. But please Watson, don't tell sir Henry about the hound. I don't want to frighten him. Tell him Selden fell and broke his neck. Is he eating with the Stapleton tomorrow night?"
"Yes, and so am I"
"No, you mustn't go. Tomorrow night he must go alone. But now, let's get some supper.
picture on the wall
Sir Henry was pleased but not surprised to see Holmes. We told him what had happened but did not mention the hound. When I told Barrymore and his wife about Selden's death, she cried bitterly but her husband looked relieved.
"You had an exciting time," Sir Henry said. "I had a boring time here all day. The Stapleton invited me, so I could have had a more lively evening. But I had promised you not to go out alone."
"I am sure you would have had a more lively time," Holmes said, smiling.
"But what did you find out about the case?" asked sir Henry. "Watson and I haven't learned much."
"I'll have some answers soon. It's a very difficult case."
"Watson and I have heard the Hound, I know the sound of a dog when I hear it," said sir Henry. "If you can catch it, you are the greatest detective."
"All right, but I need your help," said Holmes.
"Whatever you say."
"You'll do as I say and not ask any questions?"
"Just as you like."
"Then I think we'll soon know..."
Holmes stopped suddenly and looked at something behind me.
"I'm admiring these pictures on the wall," he told sir Henry. "Are they all family portaits?"
"Yes, here are most of the Baskervilles."
"And that young gentleman? Is he also a member of your family?"
"Ah, yes. That's a portrait of the wicked Hugo in 1647 - that troublemaker. This whole legend about the hound began because of him."
Holmes looked carefully at the picture. Later, when Sir Henry went upstairs, he took me back to the dining room. Holding a candle near Hugo, Holmes asked, "Do you see anything? Is it like anyone you know?"
I looked closely at the picture.
"A bit like Sir Henry around the jaw."
"Now look at this."
with his right hand, Holmes covered Hugo Baskerville's large hat and long curly hair. The face of Stapleton jumped out of the portrait.
"Good heavens!" I cried.
"Ha. you see it now."
"I'ts just like Stapleton."
"Yes, Stapleton looks and behaves like Hugo Baskerville. He's a Baskerville - that's clear."
"I guess he hopes to get Baskerville Hall and the money after sir Henry dies."
"Correct, Watson. I hope we'll soon catch him in our net like one of his butterflies."
Holmes laughed out long and loud.

Holmes gets ready for action
Holmes was up very early next day. As I was dressing, he came into the house.
"We have lots to do today," he said. "I'm setting a trap to catch our man."
"Were you out on the moor already?"
"I sent a report to Princetown prison about Selden's death."
"What's next?"
"We'll talk to Sir Henry. Ah, here he is."
"Good morning, Holmes," said sir Henry. "You look like general making battle plans."
"That's right. So you're eating with the Stapleton's tonight?"
"Yes, do come along. They'd be happy to see you."
"I'm sorry, but Watson and I must go to London."
"To London?"
"Yes, we have business there."
Sir Henry looked unhappy, "I thought you'd help me. It's not very pleasant here alone,you know."
"My dear friend, you must trust me and do as I tell you. Tell the Stapletons we had to leave and hope to return soon. Also, Sir Henry, I want you drive to Merripit House. But when you get there, send back your carriage. Tell them you'll walk home after dinner."
"Walk across the moor in the dark? But you said not to go out there alone."
"These time you must walk back alone. You'll be safe. You're brave man, Sir Henry. One very important thing: you must walk straight along the path from Merripit House to Baskerville Hall and stay on the path."
"I'll do as you say."
"Very good. We leave for London immediately after breakfast."
Another visit to Coombe Tracey
Two hours later we were at the Coombe Tracey station. A boy was waiting for us there.
"Any orders, sir?" he asked.
"Take this train to London, Cartwright. When you arrive, sent a telegram to sir Henry Baskerville in my name. Tell sir Henry I left my notebook at his house. Ask him to mail it to me at Baker Street."
"Yes, sir."
"And now ask at the station if there's a message for me."
The boy came back with a message that said: "Arriving at five-forty today with warrant - Lestrade."
"Lestrade was a police detective from London who had worked with Holmes before.
"I asked him to come," Holmes said, "because we may need help. Now, it's time to meet Mrs. Lyons."
I understood now that Holmes wanted Stapleton to think that we had gone. That was the reason for the telegram. When sir Henry told Stapleton about it, both of them would believe we had gone. But really, we would still be nearby, ready to help when needed.
Mrs. Lyons learns the truth
We found Mrs. Lyons in her office. Holmes was very direct.
"I came here to find out more about sir Charles Baskerville's death," he said. "My friend, Dr. Watson, spoke with you already but there are other things you have to tell us."
"And what is that all about?" she asked angrily.
"You asked Sir Charles to wait for you at the gate at ten o'clock. He died at that time and place. You didn't explain the connection. Do you know how he died?"
"No."
"I'll be honest with you, Mrs. Lyons. we see sir Charles's death as a murder case. We know Stapleton and his wife had something to do with it!" Mrs. Lyons jumped up from her chair. "His wife!" she cried.
"Yes. Beryl Stapleton isn't really his sister, she's his wife."
Mrs. Lyons sat down again in shock, holding tightly to the arms of her chair.
"His wife!" she repeated. "His wife! But he isn't married. Prove it to me! Prove it to me!"
"It's easy to prove," said Holmes. "Here's a photograph of them taken in the north of England four years ago. They were known as Mr. and Mrs. Vandeleur. You can easily recognize Stapleton. If you've met his 'sister,' you'll recognize her too. You can read these three letters that describe them. At that time, they owned St. Oliver's private school."
After a few minutes Mrs. Lyons looked at us in despair.
"Mr. Holmes," she said, "he promised to marry me if I divorced my husband. He lied to me! He wasn't really helping me. I was just a tool in his hands. I'll tell you everything. Why should I protect him now? Ask me whatever you want. But please believe that I didn't wish sir Charles any harm.
He was a very kind friend."
"I believe you, Madam," said Holmes. "Now, let's get things clear, did Stapleton ask you to send the letter?"
"He told me exactly what to write."
"He promised to marry you, and so you needed a divorce. Then he said Sir Charles would give you the money for the lawyers?"
"Yes."
"And after you sent the letter, Stapleton made sure you didn't go to see sir Charles."
"He said he'd find the money himself, that he wouldn't feel right if I got money from another man. After all he was going to marry me."
"And after sir Charle's death he asked you to keep quiet about your plans to meet him at he gate?"
"Yes. He said the death was very strange. The police would question me if they heard about it. Stapleton frightened me into keeping silence."
"But didn't you think he was behaving strangely?"
She looked down. "I would still have kept quiet if he hadn't lied to me."
"You're lucky to be alive, Mrs. Lyons," Holmes said. "You knew something about what he was doing. He could have killed you. We may come to see you again."
That evening, Holmes and I waited for the London train.
"Our case is getting clearer," said Holmes. "We'll soon know the whole story about one of the most amazing and sensational crimes of the modern times."
A small, strong-looking man jumped down from the train. We shook hands.
"Anything good happening?" asked Lestrade.
"It's the biggest case we've seen for years. We have two hours left, so we can get some dinner. Ever been to Dartmoor before, Lestrade? You'll enjoy the pure night air. I don't think you'll forget your first visit."

No comments:

Post a Comment