Thursday, March 17, 2011

Baskerville Hall

Chapter 7
Baskerville Hall
Holmes spoke to me on the way to the rain station. "I'm not happy about sending you to Devon, Watson. It's an ugly business - an ugly, dangerous business. keep your gun with you always. Tell me anything you find out about the case. Study the servants and the neighbors, and let me know if you hear anything new about sir Charles's death."
"I'll do my best," I replied.
Dr. Mortimer and sir Henry were waiting by the train. They had nothing new to report.
"I ask you, sir Henry, not to go anywhere alone. It would be very dangerous. Did you find your other boot?"
"No, sir, it's gone forever."
"Really? How very interesting. Well, goodbye," said Holmes.
"Remember the Baskerville legend, sir Henry, and don't go out on the moor after dark!"
The journey was pleasant. First we passed rich farmland and later we saw the gloomy, grey moor were dark, rocky hills. Baskerville sat quietly looking out and I watches his strong, proud face.
Soon the train stopped at a small station. A carriage was waiting outside. I was surprised to see two soldiers with guns standing there. Later we saw another soldier on the hill-top watching the road. Dr. Mortimer asked the driver about them.
"They're looking for a convict who escaped from Princetown Prison three days ago - a dangerous man called Selden, the Notting Hill murderer."
I remembered the case. It was a brutal murder and the killer had only escaped death because of insanity.
A cold wind blew from the moor, and the sky was getting dark. The rich farmland was now behind us. Yellow leaves had fallen from the trees. The land was empty, wild and rocky. Two high, narrow towers rose over the bent and twisted trees. The driver pointed with his whip.
"Baskerville Hall," he said.
As the carriage took us down a long, dark driveway to the door of the house, sir Henry said, " I can understand my uncle's feelings now. What a scary place! I'll soon put up a row of electric lights here, and it will look quite different."
The front of the house was covered in ivy and the ancient twin towers rose to the dark sky.
"Welcome, sir Henry! Welcome to Baskerville Hall!"
Barrymore, a tall man with a black beard, came to bring in out bags. His wife helped him.
"May I go home now, Sir Henry?" asked Dr. Mortimer,
"Surely you'll stay and have some dinner?"
"No, I must go. I have work waiting for me. Barrymore will show you the house. Goodbye, and please send for me if I can help."
After the carriage left, we went into the house and warmed ourselves by the fire.
"The old house is just how I imagined it," said sir Henry. "To think that my family has lived here for five hundred years!"
while Mrs. Barrymore was preparing dinner, we went upstairs.Our bedrooms, were more modern than the rest of the house and brightly lit with candles.The dining-room was very dark and gloomy, so we ate quickly and went to another room to smoke.
‎"‎I understand why sir charles felt nervous here," sir henry said. "The house isn't very cheerful. I guess that after a good night's sleep it will look different in the morning."
I looked out of my window before going to bed. A half moon came out behind the racing clouds and showed the wind moving trough the trees. In the cold moonlight I could see a line of rocks and on the horizon the dark curve of the empty moor.
I could not sleep tough I was very tired. Suddenly in the middle of the night I heard a woman crying bitterly. i listened carefully. The sobbing was somewhere inside the old house.
I listened for a while longer,but the crying had stopped.
The only noises were the chiming of the clock and the wind blowing throue the ivy on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment