Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Chapter 1
Mr. Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes sat at the breakfast table. I stood by the fire and picked up the walking stick that our visitors had left behind the night before. We were not home then, so we had not met him. It was a fine, thick piece of wood. A silver band around it said: "To James Mortimer, M.R.C.S. from his friends of the C.C.H., 1884."
"Well, Watson, what do you think about it? Because we missed our visitor last night, and we don't know why he came here, this stick is an important clue."
"Dr. Mortimer must be an old man with good friends. He lives in the country and walks a lot to see his patients."
"Why do you think so?"
"Because I see that he has used this stick a lot. A doctor in town would carry a newer stick."
"Correct," said Holmes.
"The letters C.C.H. mean some sort of sports club. He helped people in the club, and he got this stick as a present."
"Well, Wotson," said Holmes, taking the stick to the window to look at , "you're not a genius, but you help me a lot."
"Did I make a mistake?" I asked.
"You're right that the man is a country doctor and walks a lot."
"And the rest?"
"This present probably came from a hospital where the doctor worked.
C.C.H. is Charing Cross Hospital in London."
"What else did you notice?"
"That he got the stick five years ago when he left the hospital and moved to the country. Only a junior doctor would move to the country, so we can imagine a young man under thirty, friendly, not very ambitious, and forgetful. I see by the marks on the stick that the doctor has a dog."
A minute later he said, " The dog is a curly-haired spaniel."
"My dear Holmes, how can you possibly know?"
"Only a man who wasn't ambitious would move from London to the country. And as for the dog, he's by the front door with his owner. Come in, sir!"
I was surprised when I saw our visitor. He was a very tall,thin,young man, with a long nose and gold colored glasses, He was very happy to see his stick again.
"I'm so glad," he said, " I wasn't sure where I left my walking stick, I was afraid it was lost."
"It was a present from Charing Cross Hospital," said Holmes.
"Yes,sir."
"You came to see me last night and again today. How can i help you, Dr. Mortimer?" asked Holmes. "What exactly is the problem?"

No comments:

Post a Comment