Friday, March 18, 2011

Dr. Watson Reports to Sherlock Holmes

Chapter 9
Dr. Watson Reports to Sherlock Holmes
baskervile Hall, 13th October
My Dear Holmes,
First, I muse mention the escaped prisoner. It is two weeks since he escaped and no one has seen him.
He can hide in an empty house on the moor but how will he eat? Most people think he is no longer here.
Sir Henry takes a great interest in Miss Stapleton, who is an exotic looking woman. I think she would like him too but she is afraid of her brother. He keeps a careful eye on her and does not seem pleased with their friendship. I wonder why, as Sir Henry is a very rich man. Actually, we see the Stapleton almost every day and they are coming for dinner tonight. We will go to their house next week.
Dr. Mortimer showed us Yew Alley. Sir Henry wanted to know how his uncle died. The alley is like a long, dark tunnel. I wonder what frightened Sir Charles so much? What was he running from? A large sheep-dog, some black monster or ghost, or human agent?
I just met another neighbor, Mr. Frankland of Lafter Hall. He is quite old, a kind and meaning man who studies astronomy, He has a very good telescope on the roof of his house which he uses to search for the escaped prisoner.
There is something strange about the Barrymores. Mrs. Barrymore often looks sad. Last night I heard quiet footsteps outside in the hall. It was about two o'clock in the morning. When I looked out, I saw the black shadow of a tall man holding a candle. It was Barrymore. I followed him into an empty room.
He stood by the window, held the candle near it for a few minutes and looked down at the moor. Then he put out the light. I quickly went back to my room. His footsteps went back down the hall. Later on I heard a key turning in a lock. I do not know which door was opened or closed. Something secret is going on in this gloomy house.

Baskerville Hall, 13th October
My dear Homes,
Some surprising things have happened lately.
Firstly I checked the room where Barrymore was last night. There is a clear view onto the moor from there, as no trees grow outside. Next I spoke to Sir Henry. He also knew that Barrymore walked about at night. We said we would follow him to find out why he did this.
Then Sir Henry told me he had arranged to meet Miss Stapleton and wanted to be alone with her, I was afraid this would be dangerous, so I followed him some distance away on the moor-path. I was afraid I had lost him, but when I climbed a small hill and hid among the rocks, I saw him talking with Miss Stapleton about a quarter of a mile away. She moved her hands around a lot, as if she was excited. He listened patiently but seemed to be disagreeing with her.
Suddenly I saw Stapleton watching them too and moving towards them.
Sir Henry suddenly put his arm around Miss Stapleton, but she pulled away from him, Then both of them saw Stapleton watching them too and moving towards them.
Sir Henry suddenly put his arm around Miss Stapleton, so they stepped backwards. The two men talked for a while. Finally, Stapleton turned away in anger, calling his sister to follow him. Sir Henry began walking slowly back to Baskerville Hall. He looked sad and his face was red with annoyance. He was surprised to see me, so I told him why I had followed him. He could not understand why Stapleton was so angry about his friendship with his sister. Sir Henry thought he was a bit crazy.
Unfortunately, their conversation was not very romantic. Beryle had warned him not to stay in the area. She had begged him to leave as soon as possible. He told her he was in no hurry to leave unless she would agree to come with him At that point her brother had appeared to drag her away. He had shouted at Sir Henry, and told him to leave his sister alone.
Later that day,Stapleton came over to apologize to Sir Henry for losing his temper. He said that he was all alone in the world except for his sister, and could not bear the thought of losing her.
To return to the Barrymores, that same night we kept watch in Sir Henry room. At three o'clock in the morning we heard footsteps and flowed them down the corridor. Barrymore went into the same room as before and moved towards the window, where he stood holding his candle.
Sir Henry then surprised him by walking into the room and asking in his direct way what was going on. Barrymoor was afraid and refused to tell why he was holding the candle to the window.
"Maybe he's sending a signal to someone outside," I exclaimed, taking the candle and moving it across the window. I saw an answering point of light.
"Now, tell me what you've been plotting against me!" Sir Henry said.
"No,sir - not against you! Nothing against you." Mrs. Barrymore suddenly stood by the door, her face white and trouble. "My unhappy brother is starving outside on the moor. We cannot let him die of hunger. The signal is so that we can go and take him some food."
"Then your brother is...?" asked sir Henry.
"Yes, sir, the escaped convict Selden."
Sir Henry and I looked at this respectable woman in great surprise.
"Yes, sir, my name was Selden. We spoiled my brother when he was little. As he grew older, he found bad friends and took on their evil ways. But he's still my little brother and I love him. He stayed hereafter he escaped from prison. Then you arrived from London and he went to hide out on the moor. Every second night we put a light by the window and he answers us. Then my husband brings him food. We hope he'll go away, but as long as he's there, we have to help him."
"Is this true, Barrymore?"
"Yes, sir Henry."
"Well, I can't blame you for helping your wife. Go to your room and we'll talk more in the morning."
After they left, we looked through the window again. The small light still burned on a hill close by. Sir Henry said it was out duty to catch the prisoner and it should go after him right away. I took my gun and he had his hunting whip. The night was cold and damp. After walking for some time, we saw the evil yellow face of the convict for a second in the light of the candle he had placed in the rock.
Just then a strange noise was heard in that empty place, the same cry I had heard before, First came a low, deep sound, then a howl, like the cry of a wolf, then a sad moan that slowly faded away, Then the terrible, wild sound began again.
Sir Henry was afraid, and touched my arm with an icy cold hand, "What's that, Watson?"
"I don't know. I heard it once before on the moor."
"Watson," he said, "it was the cry of a hound. what do the country people say?"
"They think it's the cry of the Hound of the Baskervilles."
"It seems to come from the great Grimpen Mire," he said."My god, can there be some truth in these dark stories? Is it possible I', really in danger?"
The convict had seen us now. He cursed, threw down a rock and ran away at great speed. We started chasing him, but he was soon far away. We sat down to get our breath back before returning to the house.
Then, strangly, I noticed someone on the hilltop of black Tor. In the moonlight, I saw the shadow of a tall, thin man standing quite still with folded arms, But just as I was pointing out this stranger in the wilderness to sir Henry, he vanished. Perhaps he was a policeman, as Sir Henry said. But I would like to be sure.
So, Holmes, I have told you everything. You can decide for yourself what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment